Prices and living costs
Considering the quality of life and what Sydney has to offer, living expenses are at a very reasonable level, especially when compared to other major U.S. or European cities. Sydney is considered one of the most popular destination for a world class living.Firstly, the important information is that most wages or salaries as well as costs will be concerning a weekly period. Secondly, remember about estimating your costs with 52 weeks in a year.
Living costs will vary by location, and of course by your lifestyle. For obvious reasons, costs are higher in urban centres and lower in regional areas.
As a student (under a student visa) you may work up 40 hours every two weeks. The general rate i.e. in hospitality is at the level of 20-25 AUD per/hour. This should allow you to make around $400- 500 per week and it should cover all your expenses. Additionally, during the vacations and other holiday periods you are allowed full time work (40 h/per week). All this allows students to work, study and enjoy Australia at the same time.
Officially, the Department of Immigration and Border Protection states that you need around 360 AUD per week ($18.610 per year) to study in Australia.
A summary of living costs in Australia:
- Shared Rental – $70 to $250 per week
- Hostels and Guesthouses – $80 to $135 per week
- On campus – $80 to $250 per week
- Homestay – $110 to $270 per week
- Rental – $100 to $400 per week
- Groceries and eating out – $80 to $200 per week
- Gas, electricity – $60 to $100 per week
- Phone and Internet – $20 to $50 per week
- Public transport – $10 to $50 per week
- Entertainment – $50 to $100 per week
More detailed examples:
Food and Drink
- Milk (1 litre) $2.50
- Cheese (500g) $6
- Dozen Eggs $4
- White Bread $3
- Rice (1 kg) $2
- Pack of Cigarettes (Marlboro) $16
- Mobile (30 day unlimited AU calls) $39
Eating Out, Entertainment & Health
- Three-course dinner in restaurant $55
- Big Mac meal $8.50
- Cup of coffee in bar/cafe $4
- Beer in bar $5
- Coca Cola (500 ml) $3
- Taxi rate per km $3
- City centre bus fare $3.50
Coming to Australia was the best decision I ever made.